Making safety a top priority however you wish to see us
We know that coming in for an appointment can sometimes be a challenge. This is especially true when circumstances such as the COVID-19 pandemic greatly impact our daily lives.
At the same time, it remains important that you find the relief and treatment you need.
We are taking great measures to protect our patients and staff from exposure risks during in-office appointments. However, we also have a way for you to stay on top of managing your foot and ankle care should you be unable or prefer not to visit us directly:
Whether you’re limited by illness or quarantine, lack of transportation, scheduling conflicts, or any other reason, a telemedicine appointment allows you to connect with us from home.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when a doctor uses video calling to provide clinical services. The entire appointment is conducted remotely, without meeting face-to-face.
Essentially, this allows us to perform a visual inspection of your foot or ankle, communicate directly with you, and answer your questions – all while you remain in the comfort of your own home.
There are a variety of specific telemedicine tools and technologies. At Total Foot and Ankle, we use Doxy.me because of its ease of use. You won’t have to create any accounts or download extra apps! Here is how it works:
- Contact us to schedule a time for your appointment.
- We will send you a link to our “virtual waiting room,” either through email or text so you can access it on the device you wish to use to meet with us (more on this shortly).
- At the time of the appointment, click this link to enter the waiting room, fill in your name, and click “Check In.”
- When Dr. Shields is ready, the appointment will begin!
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well for a virtual consult include:
- Initial inspections. Dr. Shields can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video, providing a diagnosis and/or suggesting next steps.
- Check-up appointments. Dr. Shields can examine your ongoing recovery from a wound or injury, or check the progress of a current treatment.
- Questions and advice. Have a question about your health care and want answers from a real medical professional? Telemedicine is one of the most convenient ways to get them.
Our telemedicine appointments are ideal for anyone who must stay home, parents who need to keep watch over their children, and individuals who don’t have transportation to get to our office, for a few examples.
However, you do not need an official “excuse” to request a telemedicine appointment. Anyone can request one if it would appear to be suitable for your needs. If you unsure whether a telemedicine appointment would work for you, do not hesitate to contact us and ask!
What do you need for your telemedicine appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls. A smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone are all suitable.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- The Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari web browser installed on your device. Doxy.me does not support Internet Explorer or Edge, but all of the supported browsers above can be downloaded and installed for free.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
We also recommend having a trusted family member present with you to provide assistance or help you take notes as needed. A second person can also make a good “cameraman” to show us places that might be difficult for you to reach.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. We recommend contacting your provider to ensure you have their latest policy information.
What if I do have to come into the office?
If an in-office visit is necessary, or you simply prefer to see us in person, please rest assured that we are adhering to strict standards to provide as safe and low-risk an environment as we can for both our patients and our staff.
Please expect the following when scheduling an in-office appointment:
- We will ask screening questions for symptoms while booking your appointment.
- We will take your temperature when you come in, and may ask you to reschedule if your reading is high.
- We will ask that only the patient in need of examination come into the office, to limit the number of people inside our building. In special cases, such as a minor needing a parent or guardian with them, we will allow one accompanying caregiver.
- We will limit waiting room population as much as possible, and space out those who are waiting.
- We regularly and thoroughly sanitize the office, especially high-traffic areas.
If you have any questions about our cleaning or in-office policies, please do not hesitate to contact us and ask.
Are you ready to request your appointment?
If you’re ready to request an appointment with Dr. Shields – either via telemedicine or at one of our offices – all you have to do is give us a call:
- Oklahoma City – (405) 947-8041
- Enid – (580) 237-3338